Thursday, August 27, 2015

Step Three: Immediately fail to meet goal (because apparently I forgot to upload this.)

I work for the public. I used to work in retail, but thankfully I made it out alive. I now work in two different libraries. The first is in a VERY poor city (Hint: It filed for bankruptcy in 2011, it is also only a square mile) the second in a fairly wealthy city bordering the first. While I am so, so thankful for my jobs, there are days when all I want is to pull my hair out. 
This summer that has mostly been due to the children running rampant, because of the heat and having no where else to go; But it is the adults who make me truly angry. Adults, around me at least, have a tendency to feel entitled. That they deserve special treatment, or what have you. And nothing, I repeat nothing, gets under my skin than that. I have had random and unsurprisingly sexist things thrown my way ("Nice legs" for instance, or a 'joke' about how I must have broken the copy machine when I was replacing the toner.) but it is the experiences in which a patron gets so angry and aggressive because the rules actually applied to them that blow me, and my temper, away. 
I have been yelled because I faxed all the papers in a stack I was handed even though the patron did not specify otherwise. I have been yelled at because I did not offer a cover sheet even though the patron did not ask. I have been yelled at that the copy machine was broken, and no it NOT because the paper was on the wrong side. I have been yelled at that we don't have a public water cooler, even though it is not a luxury that the Library can afford. I have been accused of not letting a patron take out a damaged book because we saw what he was writing about us. I have been yelled at for not looking up children's library cards, when the child is not present and/or the adult has no ID. I have been yelled at when I patron is asked to get off a computer because their time is up and others are waiting to use it. And then yelled at because they haven't been put back on another computer, even though they refused to go on the waiting list when other patrons were already on said waiting list. and there's so
much more.
But I can honestly say that I do not understand. Why do people feel like the world owes them for living in it? Why do patrons in a library, or even customers in a store, feel they deserve more than everyone else because they "come in all the time." That doesn't actually mean anything. Did they learn in kindergarten to wait their turn? That everyone gets a turn? and everyone has to listen to the rules? That does not magically change after one turns a certain age. Those rules always apply, and they will never not apply. If everyone could just learn to understand that, I think the world would be a much happier place.

No comments:

Post a Comment