Friday, August 14, 2015

Step Two: Write Something

Ok, so life has beaten me this week. I actually wanted to write about stuff in an academic manner... you know challenge myself intellectually. But I guess life had other plans. So instead, I'm going to wind down and just write out what my life has been like this week. That counts right?

So I knew that this week was not going to be fun. By any stretch of the imagination, because looking at the calendar wanted to make me cry. But it has seriously lived up to all expectations.

The Library was closed on Monday due to a state holiday, (We are one of two states who celebrate Victory day apparently). So I knew Tuesday could be bad. But it was down pouring in a city that primarily walks so there were very few people coming in (despite an initial rush right as we opened); and our there were only five requests pending (out going items). I was kinda thankful because our front desk volunteer was out, so I was stuck behind the circ. desk all day.

I should have known it could only get worse.

Wednesday was a nightmare. We open at 11 am. There were fifteen people waiting outside at 10:40 am. We were also down an employee and a volunteer (we seriously depend on volunteers, as we have four staff). And we were slammed as soon as the doors unlocked. The delivery came at 11:10. I had only just looked up the request list (which was four pages long, much more than we usually have) everyone wanted a computer, and we only have five. There was some sort of scavenger hunt being held by a school and we were a stop. I didn't stop moving (or being pulled in three directions at once) for three hours. So it was three hours of chaos.
One of the volunteers who did thankfully make in is not one of the nicer volunteers, she has a tendency to snap at us for no reason when she disagrees with how something is done. But we're so dependent on her support that there isn't much we can do. Then I had to stay late for an event that we thought had ended the week before (they told us the class would run six weeks, and apparently they did NOT count the registration week, so technically it went seven.) So there was also a board meeting that needed the room that was already booked that no one knew was booked.

Thursday was a little better. There was still a rush in the morning, we were still down an employee. And my coworker on my floor couldn't come in until three thirty. But it was supposed to be fine, there was going to be another volunteer come in at 1:30. But she got held up until almost three. Also I was going to take my lunch when she got in, and I was so hungry that I was developing a pretty nasty headache. There was an unexpected delivery of pretty large equipment (that we were not told was a donation, so its also missing pieces.)
And we hosted an Uber recruiting event that started at 3 pm, but set up started at 2pm.

Luckily, today hasn't been too bad. a tad busy, but nothing I couldn't handle. Got yelled at by a patron because the copier "wasn't working" but didn't want to be told that it wasn't working because he had the paper in the wrong spot. Which is annoying and frustrating, but not out of the ordinary. All I really had to deal with today was the delivery. Alone.

I'm not complaining. Just mentally working through my week. and boy was it a WEEK

No comments:

Post a Comment